Preemie Ticker

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Premature Baby tickers

Friday, August 6, 2010

The Day After

It's amazing how our not-so-great days (or even bad days) now were once considered good days a few months ago. Sadly, today was Jackson's transition day (aka the Day After a bunch of new changes). Throughout the day he was frequently desating (O2 saturation went from 94 to 86 to 78 to 84 to 89 to 91 to 96 all day long...it was like a yo-yo) and quite fussy. His doctor assured me that he was having a transition day and the multitude of changes were to blame for the desats, not his lungs. He seemed to get better throughout the day and when I spoke to his nurse tonight she said that after some position changes he has stopped the desating and gone back to his normal high O2 saturation! :)
I was able to coax him to sleep for an hour or so, but for the rest of the afternoon he was kicking his feet and grunting. I believe he was working on "presents" for us and having a difficult time. He hadn't a messy diaper since midnight (which is unusual for him) so I mentioned it to his doctor and she agreed that he needed a little help. So, after "a little help" my little man exploded! (Isn't it great how I can write about explosions on my blog with such excitement?! Six months ago I would have NEVER thought this would be my daily conversation with the world!)
His feeds today went pretty well. He took half a bottle at 5am, 11am, and 11pm, and he took a full bottle at 5pm! Right now he's just building up his endurance! :)
Tomorrow, Ryan and I will be giving Jackson a bath together. It'll be the first bath that Ryan participates in and the first bath I complete without the nurses! I told Ryan told, "We're going to have a baby in two weeks so we better get ready!" :)

Current Stats:
Weight: 5 pounds 8.9 ounces
Respiratory: No support. Yo-Yo desats all day long. Settled into his space now and is high sating.
Feeds: Full feeds, 45 cc every three hours. 4 PO (by mouth) feedings per day. Took about half a bottle (approx 23-30 cc) at 5am, 11am, and 11pm feeding. Took full bottle at 5pm feeding. No bradys during feeds. Desats to high 70s and back up during feeds.

Goals:
1. Keep on gaining weight!
2. Complete transition. Reduce desating and go back to his baseline.
3. Keep building endurance on feeds. Take all four feeds by mouth! :)
4. Come home soon!

With love,
Anna

No comments:

Post a Comment