Preemie Ticker

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Premature Baby tickers

Thursday, September 2, 2010

Being Sick Sucks

As many of you may remember, I've been having trouble with my thyroid recently. After I delivered Jackson, I found out that I have hyperthyroidism (overactive thyroid). At first, the doctor thought that it was postpartum hyperthyroidism which is brought on after pregnancy and usually goes away in 3 months or so. However, after running some more tests, he thinks it is more likely Graves Disease which is a longer lasting form of hyperthyroidism that isn't related to pregnancy. I've been seeing my endocrinologist for awhile now trying to wait as long as possible to start treatment because I'm still pumping and breastfeeding. Needless to say, in the last week my symptoms have become significantly worse and the doctor decided it was time to begin treatment. So, I am now taking a thyroid medicine (3 x per day) and a beta blocker (1x per day). In addition, I developed mastitis (a breast infection) so I am taking an antibiotic 4x per day. Mastitis sucks. Totally and rediculoulsly painful.

So, this week has really been awful for me. I feel like I have no energy whatsoever, have a racing heartbeat where I feel like I can't breathe, tingly feeling in my arms, and just overall hurt. I'm hoping that my body can get adjusted to this medicine so I'll feel better soon. I can't function like this and if I can't function I can't love on Jackson as much as I want. For those of you that know me well this will show you how awful I feel... I mostly let Ryan and his mom feed Jackson instead of me. :(

In other news, Jackson is doing wonderful. He's becoming quite the chunky monkey. We are getting ready to leave to go to his GI doctor appointment. The new medicine I am on is safe for breastfeeding, so that's a good thing. I'll update everyone later to let them know how the appointment goes!

Right now, I have seven furry little ones who are ready for their breakfast! :)

With love,
Anna

3 comments:

  1. I also was diagnosed with Graves disease shortly after Melanie was born. It took a while for them to get it under control, but once they did I just have to have it checked once a year. Keep your chin up because this is just a minor setback. Love on that little man for me.
    Doylene
    Melanie's mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Doylene,
    The doctor is thinking it is Graves disease for me too. The new medicine they have me on makes me feel awful. I spent most of today just holding Jackson and giving him kisses, or sleeping. I'm super lucky that my mother-in-law is staying with us right now until they get the dosages right on these new meds. Have you had any additional flare-ups since they originally got it under control? Did you have to have your thyroid removed?
    It's nice to know someone else in this situation. I had never even heard of Graves disease before this.
    BTW: I'll def love on the little man. I just finished giving him his nightly massage and now I"m going to go read him a bedtime story. We discovered today that he loves Paddington Bear. :)
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  3. They tried to regulate it with meds, but could not get it under control. I had to go give blood every 2 weeks at first while taking the meds. The other options were surgery or a radioactive isotope. I opted for the isotope to kill the thyroid. I now just have to take a little pill a day and get it checked once a year. If it is off they tweek the dosage and it gets back in line. The isotope was the better option for me. But now they are a little more careful. For example they would want you to stay away from Jackson for a few days while it gets out of your system. Way back in the day Melanie went with me to Emory to take the radioactive pill, and she was about a year old by then. But you know with surgery you would also be out of commission for a little while. Talk to your doctor. Stay informed, but also know that this is very minor once they get you regulated. Who knows they might be able to regulate you with meds. I'll keep you in my prayers.
    Doylene

    ReplyDelete