Preemie Ticker

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Premature Baby tickers

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Dang those big bad vaccinations!

The past two days have reminded me to really appreciate the good days because a not-so-great day could be right around the corner. Tuesday morning Jackson turned two months and therefore, he received his two month vaccinations. The doctor weaned his cannula to 1/4 liter that morning, however, after his first vaccine, he began to desat frequently and have more brady-lite episodes. After a few hours of watching him go up and down, the nurse finally moved him back to 1/2 liter (which helped a bit); however, he continued to go up and down for the remainder of Tuesday. Wednesday morning he received his other two vaccinations and the desats and brady-lites began all over again. ::sigh:: Needless to say, it's been a rough two days.

Feeding wise, Jackson took 16 cc from his bottle on Tuesday, and he was too unstable to breastfeed. On Wednesday, he took 29 cc from his bottle (yay!) and took 4 cc breastfeeding. His full feed is 36 cc every three hours, so he received 7 cc after his bottle through is feeding tube and 31 cc after breastfeeding. Overall, I think that's a pretty good day considering he had received vaccines. The doctor isn't concerned about his desats and said they should improve after a day or so and his fever goes away. ::sigh:: I'm a historian at heart and realize how better the world is after the creation of vaccinations. I love vaccines and know they are necessary for his overall health, but I hate watching his body come to terms with them. :(

I've debated whether or not to include in my blog what I'm about to say. It's probably going to be a TMI for many of you, but I first started my blog to offer a place where women like me could get a real picture of what it's like to go through a situation like mine. So, if "girl issues" are too much for you... skip this paragraph. If you've just delivered a baby, have had issues like mine, or think that one day you may walk in shoes similar to mine (pink and black sketchers, size 8... lol) keep on reading.... So, Tuesday morning I woke up in a pool of blood on my bed. I freaked out a little, but know from my experiences with Jackson that the doctor would tell me to put a pad on and monitor the bleeding. That's exactly what I did. For the rest of the day, I kept bleeding through a pad about every hour to hour and a half. I called my OB twice and they kept telling me to monitor it and check to see if I was passing large clots. At about 11 am I passed my first large clot, called them to tell them, and was told to continue monitoring it. At around 4pm I passed another large clot (near the size of my palm) so I called Ryan and headed to the ER. I had been dizzy, seeing spots, sick to my stomach, and had an overall bad feeling. I spent less than 45 minutes in the ER. They gave me IV fluids, told me I was dehyrated, did a pelvic exam, and told me I had started my period. WHAT? First off I was told I wouldn't get my period until after I stopped breastfeeding or at least until I had significantly decreased the frequency of my breastfeeding (I'm still pumping every three and a half to four hours). Second, I was told when my period did return it would be significantly lighter than it had been before Jackson. This was WAY WAY WAY heavier than before. So, I returned home and decided to see my doctor the next day. At the hospital on Wednesday morning, Jackson's nurse asked me about my trip to the ER (she had heard about it that morning before I got there). She insisted that I go see my OB immediately to get it checked out (I was still bleeding heavily). I saw my OB and he is going to run some blood work to check for blood clotting problems and thyroid conditions after pregnancy. He said that he indeed thinks it is my period and that I'm one of the lucky rare few that a) get it breastfeeding and b) get it much heavier than before. Lucky me! Why should I expect anything different? He did put me on Iron supplements and on another medicine to help reduce the amount of bleeding. He told me I was dehydrated and needed to drink more water, take it easy, get more rest, and let Ryan take care of me while I continue to bleed. Awesome. He'll call me later in the week with the results from the blood work. So, lesson for all of you new moms or women in pink sketchers.... don't listen to them when they tell you you've got a year before your period arrives. It could only be 8 weeks.

Jackson's Stats:
Weight: 5 pounds 0.8 ounces!
Respiratory: Low flow nasal cannula, 1/2 liter, room air, frequent desats and brady-lites (probably due to vaccines)
Feeds: Full feeds, 36 cc every three hours, Tuesday: one bottle. 16 cc. Wednesday: one bottle. 29 cc. One breastfeeding. 4 cc.

Goals:
1. Keep on gaining weight!
2. Reduce desats and bradys!
3. Continue working on feeding. Take full bottles. Transfer more breastfeeding.

With love,
Anna

No comments:

Post a Comment