Preemie Ticker

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Premature Baby tickers

Friday, July 2, 2010

Jackson's CPAP came off (not on purpose!)

Today was a wonderful and crazy today. Ryan dropped me off at the hospital around 1pm. I spent the next hour and a half reading Twilight to Jackson. I'm hoping to be up on the seventh floor before I finish the first book. (We'll see). The doctor called on the way down to the hospital and told us that she wanted to keep Jackson on bubble 6 for another day or two because he was requiring between 30-35 percent oxygen. This really surprised me because every time I had talked to the nurse throughout the night he was around 28 percent. Once I got to the hospital and asked the nurse about it she told me that Jackson had been between 25-31 percent. ::sigh:: That's okay. He probably needed another day on bubble 6 anyway. (The bubble number correlates to the amount of pressure the CPAP is giving him. After bubble 5, he'll go to a nasal cannula!)
After his three o'clock changing (and wow did he have a special present for us!) I got to hold him. Within five minutes of the nurse putting him on my chest he went down to room air (21 percent oxygen). He loves being held! Around 4 pm the chaos began.
The nurse came behind the curtain and asked how long I usually hold him because he was starting to desat. I told her that I usually hold for two hours, but if he was done I would put him back in the bed. (He wasn't squirming much so I was surprised she asked). She went to look at him and low and behold he had pulled the CPAP out of his nose!! Of course he was desating! He wasn't getting any support! Within a minute his heart rate dropped (duh.. he can't breathe!) and the nurse positioned him back in the bed and got the prongs back in his nose. Needless to say, Mommy (aka me) was very scared!! The next hour was rough to watch as he was getting readjusted. They never had to take him over 30 percent and slowly they began to turn his oxygen back down. Before his six pm diaper change, he was down to about 23 percent.
Ryan changed his diaper at 6pm, or rather, Ryan changed his diaper three times at 6pm! Jackson kept leaving special surprises for his Daddy!

Tomorrow, Ryan and I are attending the mandatory CPR class from 12:30-2:30.

Overall, it was a good day. His weight is currently 3 pounds 4 1/2 ounces. He is eating 24 ccs every three hours.

Goals for the next few days:
Hit 1500 grams.
Begin weaning temperature support in his bed so he can move to a big boy crib and wear clothes!
Wean down to bubble 5! Keep his oxygen on bubble five less than 35 percent!

With love,
Anna

No comments:

Post a Comment