Preemie Ticker

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Premature Baby tickers

Friday, July 9, 2010

Every baby is different... a scary night.

Last night was quite scary. The past two nurses Jackson has had have been worried about his desating. Wednesday night he was desating a lot and a little cold, so the nurse put him back in the isolator. Yesterday, Jackson was desating a lot so the nurse weaned him back up to 4 on the high flow. Last night, Jackson was desating a lot so the nurse called the doctor and they decided to do chest x-rays, a blood gas, and blood work to see if his lungs looked worse or if he had an infection.

INFECTION!!! As soon as I heard that word at 6:30 this morning, I started panicking. That is one problem we have not had to deal with and one that I DO NOT want to deal with. So, I started calling every half hour to hear what the results were of the blood work. (I already knew the chest x-ray was clear and the blood gas was normal.)

Keep in mind, both nurses that have been concerned about him moved him from 28 percent oxygen to 32 or 35. That is only 4-7 percent up on his oxygen. Considering the fact he was at 45 percent earlier this week, I'm not sure why they didn't turn his oxygen up a little if he was desating that frequently. ::sigh::

Good news: The blood work all came back normal. No infection. No anemia. Nothing is wrong. Jackson is desating because Jackson is Jackson and that is what he does. ::huge sigh of relief::

Please don't misunderstand me. I'm very thankful that the nurses are watching him and looking out for his best interests. I'm very thankful that they would rather be safe than sorry and check to make sure he didn't have an infection. My only "complaint" (if I can really call it that) is that I can't have consistent nurses all the time that know my Jackson and know what is normal for him and what isn't because like everyone keeps telling me "every baby is different." Apparently mine, desats and highsats over and over and over again. Luckily, Jackson's favorite nurse (and the one I trust the most), Juliana, is back today and I can finally take a deep breath, get a little sleep, and know that he is in the best of hands. No unnecessary panicked Mommy looks for me today.

No comments:

Post a Comment