Preemie Ticker

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Premature Baby tickers

Monday, July 12, 2010

An Important Lesson

Today, a nurse taught me a very important lesson. I was talking with another mom about my frustrations with Jackson taking so long to progress off his respiratory support. I mentioned that other family's babies that I knew had progressed off respiratory support at this point, but Jackson hasn't. The nurse stopped me and said "You can't do that. Will you be asking Jackson in high school "why aren't you as (smart, athletic, insert adjective here) as the other kids." It isn't fair to him. Everyone is different. He'll get there when he's ready." This really hit home for me. I had heard a million times that every baby is different, but when she put it in terms of comparing him to other kids in high school I realized how unfair I was being to Jackson. I would NEVER say something like that to him when he's older, so why am I putting unfair comparisons on him now?

Today, the doctor tried to wean Jackson down to 2 liters again, but he wasn't quite ready. I think he's getting close, but he wasn't ready today. He did stay on 2 liters for a little over 2 hours and that is better than yesterday. Maybe tomorrow or the next day he'll be ready.

The most exciting thing that happened today was that we got to start non-nutritive sucking! That is where I pump and then put Jackson to the breast so he can practice breastfeeding. He was a pro! He latched right away, which is quite amazing because I've heard so many horror stories about babies not being able to latch. Jackson sucked for a good 15 minutes, didn't desat (he highsated actually), and really seemed to enjoy it! I'll spare everyone the embarrassing details, but he was great! We'll get to do it again tomorrow! :) The doctor said by the end of the week or early next week he could be taking bottles and breastfeeding! :) :)

Jackson also transitioned into a big boy crib tonight! Hopefully he'll be able to keep his temperature up and stay in the crib! New pictures will follow tomorrow! :)

Current Stats:
Weight: 3 pounds 15.9 ounces (So close to that 4 pounds!!!)
Respiratory: High Flow Nasal Cannula 2 1/2 liters Between 28-40 percent oxygen (He was 40 percent earlier when they tried to wean him to 2 liters but now he's between 28-32 percent)
Feeds: Full Feeds (29 cc every three hours) He's doing better with his reflux now too! They spread his feedings over 1 1/2 hours now instead of 30 minutes.

Goals:
1. Stay in big boy crib! Maintain temperature!
2. Continue non-nutritive sucking.
3. Gain weight and make it to 4 pounds!
4. When he's ready, successfully wean down to 2 liters! :)

With love,
Anna

2 comments:

  1. Anna,
    Hi!

    WOW - have I missed a lot!!! I signed up on the blog day 1 as a follower, and thought it would email me the updates....but I must've done something wrong upon signup....because you've been doing lots of updating that I've been missing!

    Oh my gosh though, I can't believe how BIG Jackson is getting! I had to go back and re-read, 'almost 4 pounds'!!! That's amazing!!! And very exciting to be so close to breastfeeding. Seriously, when I read your blog just now, my eyes teared up big crocodile tears of happiness and somewhat understanding. Different situations, different babies, but the same love and hope for each to do well, and eventually thrive in life - and I just know both Jackson and Audrey are going to.

    I think about you lots...and promise I am coming back over there to Northside soon to hug your neck and see that BIG BOY!!!

    Love,
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amanda,
    Sounds great! I can't wait to see you! When Jackson gets to come home, we should get together and have a play date!!
    I can't believe how big my little man is getting! He doesn't even look like the same baby from six weeks ago!
    I'm also so thankful that Audrey is doing so well! She looks absolutely incredible! I guess all that HRP time was time well spent! :)
    Love,
    Anna

    ReplyDelete